In addition, ASLRRA gives out three awards every year based on nomination criteria. These awards are the Safety Person of the Year, Safety Professional of the Year, and the Most Improved Railroad.
Safety Person of the Year
The Safety Person of the Year Award is awarded to an employee of a member railroad, except those considered to be professional safety management employees, who:
- has never had a reportable personal injury in their career,
- works with management of their company to make their safety programs effective,
- exhibits a high degree of safety awareness, and
- contributes off-duty time to activities promoting safety awareness in the community.
Safety Professional of the Year
The Safety Professional of the Year is open to any railroad management employee of an ASLRRA member railroad who is responsible for safety programs, training and the overall management of safe behavior and actions on their railroad(s), who:
- is an excellent communicator, motivator and organizer,
- is selfless in their actions, doing the job for results, not recognition,
- consistently produces documentable safety achievements, and
- is respected by peers, senior management and subordinates alike.
Nominations on company letterhead, under signature of the CEO or President, of no more than two pages will be requested by e-mail in the December or January prior to the ASLRRA Connection Convention at which the award will be presented. These nominations can be sent to either Dave Whorton (email@example.com) or JR Gelnar (firstname.lastname@example.org), or mailed to the following address:
c/o Safety Awards
50 F St., NW, Suite 7020
Washington, DC 20001